Dentistry might not even cross your mind when you hear the term sleep Apnea. This disorder can seem harmless. However, it can trigger problems like lack of concentration, dizziness, and zoning out during work. Etc. Therefore, fixing your airway problems can enhance your overall quality of life.
Airway dentistry is as real as general dentistry. Due to the delay in its discovery, many people are still unaware of it. However, it is a new and flourishing area of study based on your mouth’s structure. An airway doctor looks for symptoms of mouth breathing while you sleep.
Causes of Airway Blockage
An AMD can always tell with the help of bronchoscopy. However, you need to look for the following symptoms to figure out when to see an Airway mouth doctor:
- If you were born with narrow airways
- Tongue placement/ tongue thrust
- Enlarged or scalloped tongue
- Sore or enlarged tonsils
- Deviated nasal septum
- Tongue tie
- Misalignment of the teeth
Being overweight can also play a huge part in blocked airways. This can be due to the extra fat around the airways. Such constructive sleep apnea or disorder requires other treatments. Your AMD can assess and advise you accordingly.
Advantages of Seeing an Airway Mouth Doctor
There are multiple benefits of consulting an Airway Mouth Doctor, aka AMD. There are many benefits to seeing an AMD. Some of these benefits include:
- Enhanced sleep quality
- Low probability of suffering from sleep apnea
- Decreased snoring
- Boosted energy levels
- Lowered body pain
- Increased mood
- Betterment of entire physical health
- Low risk of cracked teeth and periodontal disease.
An AMD, to fix your breathing problems and sleep apnea to restore overall oral health, can use:
- Dental Devices: Dental appliances such as expander, Herbst, or braces can reposition the tongue and jaw. Doing so can result in blockages due to such misalignments.
- Myofunctional Therapy: This helps your soft tissues inside the mouth, and facial muscles collaborate to clear your airway passages. This can enhance airway function and eliminate the annoying habit of snoring.
- Diet and Lifestyle Changes: Adopting some lifestyle and dietary changes can also significantly change your airway condition. Losing weight, quitting smoking, and doing routine exercises can also impact your physical health.
- Partnering with Other Professionals in the Field: The AMD doctor figures out the underlying cause and might suggest that you see a chiropractor or general physician.
You don’t have to miss out on how it feels like to fill your lungs up with fresh air without any blockages anymore.
Consult your favorite AMD doctor, Felix, at Whole Health Dental Center. His four best-seller books established him as a thought leader in healthcare innovation and as an expert Airway-Centered Mouth Doctor (AMD). Dial (703) 385-6425 to book an appointment.