Many people don’t realize their jaws could be misaligned. However, the symptoms your mouth is indicating might tell otherwise. Think of this: do your teeth not fit together? Maybe you have trouble speaking or experience teeth grinding at night — these are some signs that could mean you might have dental malocclusion. So, how to tell your jaw is out of alignment? We will tell you in this blog!
Signs Your Jaw is Out of Alignment
Here are some signs your jaw might be out of alignment:
- Speech Impediments: Do you have a lisp or any other speech impediment? Chances are, you might be dealing with a misaligned jaw. When the teeth or jaws do not align, it affects your speech. Treating the malocclusion along with speech therapy can help resolve the issue.
- Bite Issues: The primary sign of a misaligned jaw is bite problems, which can result in cosmetic issues like overbite, underbite, and changes in facial appearance. But a significant concern it brings forth is the function of the mouth. This means that you may experience discomfort while eating as well as mouth breathing. Furthermore, bite problems might cause the affected person to bite their cheek, tongue, or lips. Your oral health also suffers because of malocclusion since it becomes challenging to take care of your mouth.
- Teeth Grinding: Bruxism might be your body’s way of telling you you need to visit a dental expert. A misaligned jaw is one of the factors behind teeth grinding, and it can further damage or weaken teeth. A credible dentist or orthodontist will be able to help with bruxism.
- Popping or Snapping Jaw: Is your jaw clicking or popping when you move it? It could happen when the temporal bone of the jaw is out of alignment, resulting in the lower jaw rubbing against the bones of the upper jaw. Hence, malocclusion or a misaligned jaw could be responsible for jaw popping.
- Pain in Jaw, Neck, or Head: Your mouth and body are connected in a way that if something happens with one, the other feels it too. A misaligned jaw, too, places unnecessary stress on the muscles and joints in your jaw, neck, and head area. This could lead to mild to severe pain, but the only thing that will eliminate the discomfort is treating your misaligned jaw.
How Early Misaligned Jaw Treatment Helps
You can get started on your journey to dental well-being earlier, which helps prevent a misaligned jaw from forming in the first place. Here are some benefits of early orthodontic intervention:
- Prevents or minimizes the need for corrective procedures like jaw surgery.
- A properly aligned jaw boosts self-esteem and confidence.
- When your teeth are properly aligned, cavities and gum disease will not be a big issue, especially if you maintain good oral care.
- Treating a misaligned jaw reduces the risk of trauma to protruding teeth.
- You will be able to speak and chew properly.
There are multiple ways to know if you have a misaligned jaw. If you notice the symptoms and suspect that you have a misaligned jaw, contact a dental expert for suitable treatment. Otherwise, malocclusion can bring forth additional severe issues!
Whole Health Dental Center offers safe and effective procedures to ensure you have much-improved oral health. Talk to us now at (703) 385-6425 or give us a visit at 7115 Leesburg Pike Suite 310, Falls Church, VA 22043.